Re: Reference Dictionaries (Was: [edict-jmdict] About entries containing "with negative")

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 at 22:56, 'Zarlan .' zarlan@******** [edict-jmdict] <edict-jmdict@***************> wrote:
> The 新和英大辞典第5版 is the 5版, the fifth edition, of the dictionary.
> The updates you speak of, are to the online version. Not the fifth edition. (and
> not, in fact, from what I can tell, just the 新和英大辞典, but also the E-J version ...and then some)

Well, the Kenkyusha site labels it as "新和英大辞典第5版".

> The fifth edition (GG5) _is_ perfectly static.

As I mentioned earlier, there are corrections made to the "第5版" in
the online version. For example they corrected a typo last year, after
I pointed out that in the 下座/げざ entry they had 噺子方 in sense 2
instead of the correct 囃子方.

> As it is a separate entity, if you cite from the website version you should not refer to it as GG5 or 新和英大辞典第5版, but as KOD or Kenkyusha Online Dictionary ...or 研究社オンライン・ディクショナリー.

I quite disagree, Kenkyusha cites 新和英大辞典第5版 and
KOD追加語彙 as distinct sources. So should we.

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University