Re: [edict-jmdict] JMdict-based Kindle dictionaries.

On Wed, 22 May 2019 at 16:52, Darren Cook darren@dcook.org
[edict-jmdict] <edict-jmdict@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> > Amazon's rules are at https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200672390
> > and are pretty clear that they don't allow books based on a non-exclusive
> > source such as JMdict. It's all quite silly, but I'm not sure what we can
> > do about it.

> I guess it is to prevent hundreds of copies of the same content clogging
> up their system, and confusing users (*).

I guess so. And there's a slight cost to them.

> Judging by those guidelines, people are still allowed to publish an
> alternative if the content is significantly differentiated.

The multiple Dickens/Austen/etc. versions seem to include some
with additions (illustrations, annotations, etc.) but a lot which seem
to be just the text.

> Maybe the solution is for you/Monash to publish the definitive (and
> free, obviously) kindle version of JMDict.

Eek. I don't want to go near platform-dependent versions, and it would
be messy to try and alter the CC-SA licence to excise Kindle editions
so as to create Amazon's preferred model.

It's sort-of Amazon's problem, but it would be good if they could be
good if they fine-tuned their rules to allow books based on CC-Sa
material. As I said, I don't want to stir them or they may chop off
books like Jean-Christian's, which they haven't noticed.

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University