JMdict-based Kindle dictionaries.

There are several Kindle editions of JMdict listed on Amazon's
WWW site, e.g. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G6TK0QW
The compiler of one those books, Jose Fonseca, has been told by
Amazon that they will drop his book because he "must hold exclusive
publishing rights for books that closely match content that is freely
available on the web."

It's quite absurd. The text of Dickens' "Bleak House" is available on
the web, but there are several Kindle editions on sale on Amazon,
and the sellers can't claim "exclusive publishing rights".

I started to write to Amazon about it, but I haven't sent anything as it
may cause the others to be removed, and at least one of the "authors",
Jean-Christian Imbeault, is on this list.

Amazon's rules are at https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200672390
and are pretty clear that they don't allow books based on a non-exclusive
source such as JMdict. It's all quite silly, but I'm not sure what we can
do about it. Good luck to Jean-Christian and the others  for sneaking under
their radar. Of course there is no restriction on Kindle editions per se; you
just can't distribute them via Amazon.

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University