Re: [edict-jmdict] Capitalization of the Moon, the Earth and the Sun

Since there were no objections raised, should we make a note of this in the policy documents, maybe?

Marcus

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 10:53 AM Jim Breen jimbreen@********* [edict-jmdict] <edict-jmdict@***************> wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 at 20:53, Marcus Richert
superbrightfuture@********* [edict-jmdict]
<edict-jmdict@***************> wrote:
> Currently we don't capitalize moon, sun, earth in the absolute majority of entries containing
> phrases "the moon" or "the sun" (some exceptions: 太陽潮, 採火, 星. We have 43 entries
> containing the phrase "the earth" (which NASA recommends against).

I note that a lot of those are of the "scum of the earth", "ends of
the earth", etc. variety
which probably should not change.

> I'd be happy to follow NASA's style guide. (except not capitalizing them in idioms as per the
> Guardian/Observer, etc.)

I'm happy with that too. I suggest that editors go ahead and make
changes as appropriate.
Often it will be a value judgement as something like "dried in the
sun" would probably not
change as it's not actually dried in the "Sun" but dried in the light
of the Sun.

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University