Entries Under Development
This page is for general use to place words/phrases which are in the process of being turned into full dictionary entries. Other people can contribute to readings, meanings, etc., and eventually the material can be placed in JMdict/EDICT.
Possibly useful links:
- the New Entry page in WWWJDIC. This can be used once the entry is complete enough to go in the dictionary.
- the New Words page prepared by Paul Blay, containing words phrases from the Tanaka Corpus that are not yet in Jmdict/EDICT.
The Work in Progress
遅ばせながら and 遅らばせながら (variants of 遅ればせながら)
The first variant showed up in an e-mail message, and this made me look for it via Google, since no dictionary carries it. It seems to be rather common (abt. 38,000 hits), and i even found a not uncommon second variant (abt. 19,000 hits). I don't know how to merge this information appropriately with the existing JEDIC entry for 遅ればせながら, since i actually don't know the sound (reading) of the first variant and (obviously) find the pronunciation of the second variant at odds with the dictionary entry. (^^)
- My guess is 遅ばせながら is simply a case of people thinking the れ could be absorbed into the kanji (遅). I'll add it to the 遅ればせながら entry as a variant. I suspect 遅らばせながら is a not-uncommon typo; I'll add it as a comment.
- BTW, when you put the 遅ればせながら entry in in 2008, you put おそればせながら as the reading. Are you sure of it? The ルミナス和英辞典 says it's おくればせながら, as does the プログレッシブ和英中辞典 at Yahoo. JimBreen 03:06, 19 March 2010 (UTC)
--Hendrik 05:20, 27 January 2009 (UTC)
A note: entering つかまる into "Word Search" brings up two entries that are identical except for a kanji being displayed as image in one of them
--Hendrik 12:30, 17 December 2008 (UTC)
- This is because entries with non-JIS208 kanji are quarantined in a separate file. When we get to the new system, they can be merged. JimBreen 02:03, 19 March 2010 (UTC)
- They have now been merged! JimBreen 01:33, 30 April 2010 (UTC)
Read, in an e-mail message, this sentence: わたくし自身デラシネ的です。
大辞泉 defines デラシネ as 根無し草。転じて、故郷や祖国から切り離された人
大辞林 defines it as 根なし草の意故郷を喪失した人
No problem with the meaning, but i dont' know the real-world connotations, in the (a) Japanese way of looking at this. Thus, i wonder which English expressions (i.e., any or all of the following) would fit? I can see a span from "rootless", "uprooted" , or "exiled" to "multicultural", "unfettered", or "free spirit".
- Or all of the above. Without knowing the context, I'd go for "rootless". JimBreen 02:52, 19 March 2010 (UTC)
--Hendrik 23:20, 8 October 2008 (UTC)
痛 and びびり
Here is a text: 抜歯、響きが痛そう。落ち着き大事ですね。整形に行ったときに医者が医学書を開いたときはマジビビりました。
Plugging this into "Translate Words" gets the following (excerpt only shown):
* 痛 【いた】 (int) ouch; ow; ED
* びびり (n) chatter mark (machine tools); ED
Now i have some questions that come out of the results shown above.
1) 痛そう contains the stem 痛, which means "painful", whereby 痛い is the adjectival form, 痛く the adverbial form, and 痛そう the, for lack of a better term, appearance form. why does the glossary give us only "痛 【いた】 (int) ouch; ow; ED"? I think it would be helpful if all all adjectives were recognized by their stem... how should one handle this interms of amending existing glosses or adding hlosses?
- 痛そう and the like should be handled. I have added そう to the possible inflections of い-adjectives, and now 痛そう gets:
- Possible inflected verb or adjective: (adj., -seems)
- 痛い 【いたい】 (adj-i) (1) painful; sore; (adj-i,suf) (2) exceeding; (P); EP
- Tell me about any more. JimBreen 02:16, 19 March 2010 (UTC)
2) The gloss for びびり is obviously off the mark here, and a reference to びびる would be most useful. I recall having mentioned some time ago that noun forms of verbs (and verb forms of nouns) :-) would benefit from being crosslinked. In that context, is it OK to add such crosslinks, whenever a situation arises where they don't exist, as amendmends?
- Yes, feel free to propose amendments like that. As for the gloss for びびり, リーダーズ+プラス has "《機械の》びびり, CHATTER MARK.", so I suspect it's not way off the mark. JimBreen 03:13, 19 March 2010 (UTC)
--Hendrik 14:12, 20 September 2008 (UTC)
This might be a misprint for 結託. Putting it here for now. ---Scott 20:23, 8 August 2010 (UTC)
On Thu Apr 29 18:56:40 2010 Hendrik submitted: 〜の背中は既に見えている 〜のせなかはすでにみえている exp catching up with ...
Sample (from a text about LED lighting and how it has been improving): ここにきて総合効率で80lm/W以上という製品も珍しくなくなってきた。総合効率が100lm/W弱とされる高効率の高周波点灯（HF）型の蛍光灯にはまだ及ばないものの，蛍光灯の背中は既に見えている。(My friend ここにきて is showing up yet again here, and in this case i have tentatively marked it as "since recently", but i will let that go for the moment...)
1) on the web (representing parts of the very text i am working on): http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/FEATURE/20100224/180569/ and two other Googits of sites quoting the above
Here is an example of an "uncertain" entry: it is not in the dictionaries i have access to, there is only limited evidence that it exists - but it "smells" like it should be in a comprehensive dictionary. ;-)
2) All the elements of this EXP are known separately, and some may perhaps argue that NES reading "being able to see the back of..." in certain contexts should know that it means "catching up with..." (or, perhaps even "set to overtake ... before long") - but methinks such an EXP as this is valuable at least for the non-NES using JEDIC, if not for _some_ NES... ;-) I also suspect that this EXP is far more typical for what NJS actually say than the 1 original Googit we have for it...
I (Jim) added it as an entry, but other editors are now suggesting deletion. I'm moving this here for discussion.JimBreen 23:29, 4 August 2010 (UTC)
- I agree that it's a catchy phrase, and the meaning might not be obvious to some, but I just don't think the usage is high enough to warrant keeping it. If kept, I don't think it should have the の in front. ReneMalenfant 06:25, 6 August 2010 (UTC)
Our existing entry, which needs work, I agree ReneMalenfant 06:19, 6 August 2010 (UTC):
[adv,prt] from; out of; since; at [adv,prt] than [adv,prt] other than; except; but [adv,prt] more
Expressions Possibly Needing Revised POSs
This is a list of entries indentified by Ben Bullock as having suspect PoS tags. I (Jim Breen) think many need to be retagged as expressions.
- I've gone through all of them and modified the ones I think need to be changed, and recommended a handful for deletion. ReneMalenfant 03:35, 8 August 2010 (UTC)
かんかん怒る [かんかんおこる] /(v5r) to get very mad/EntL1003050X/ くすくす笑う [くすくすわらう] /(v5u) to giggle/EntL1003720X/ くんくん鳴く [くんくんなく] /(v5k) to whine (dog)/EntL1004000X/ ぐうぐう寝ちゃう [ぐうぐうねちゃう] /(v5u) (ktb:) to fall sound asleep/EntL1004030X/ じっと見る;凝乎と見る [じっとみる] /(v1) to watch steadily/EntL1005880X/ じろじろ見る [じろじろみる] /(v1) to stare at/to look hard at/to look up and down/to scrutinize/to scrutinise/EntL1006020X/ ずばずば言う [ずばずばいう] /(v5u) to speak one's mind/to speak very frankly/EntL1006390X/ ちゃう;じゃう /(v5u) (contraction of ..て or で plus しまう) to do something completely/EntL2013800/ ちゅうちゅう吸う [ちゅうちゅうすう] /(v5u) to suck/EntL1007760X/ ちゅうちゅう鳴く;チューチュー鳴く [ちゅうちゅうなく(ちゅうちゅう鳴く);チューチューなく(チューチュー鳴く)] /(v5k) to squeak/to chirp/to twitter/EntL1007770X/ ちんちん鳴る [ちんちんなる] /(v5r) to jingle/to tinkle/to whistle (kettle)/EntL1007970X/ とやかく言う;兎や角言う [とやかくいう] /(v5u) to say all kinds of things/to complain/to find fault (with)/EntL1008720X/ ひど過ぎる;酷過ぎる [ひどすぎる] /(v1) (See 酷い・ひどい,過ぎる・すぎる・6) too much/too cruel/EntL1010570X/ ぴかぴか光る [ぴかぴかひかる] /(v5r) to sparkle/to glitter/to twinkle/EntL1010840X/ ぴくぴく動く [ぴくぴくうごく] /(v5k) to jerk/to wiggle/to twitch/EntL1010850X/ ぴよぴよ鳴く [ぴよぴよなく] /(v5k) to peep/to cheep/EntL1010930X/ ぷりぷり怒る [ぷりぷりおこる] /(v5r) to be in a huff/EntL1011290X/ べろべろ舐める;べろべろ嘗める [べろべろなめる] /(v1) to lick something up/to lap something up/EntL1011520X/ ぼりぼり食べる [ぼりぼりたべる] /(v1) to eat with a munching or crunching sound/EntL1011880X/ ぽたぽた落ちる [ぽたぽたおちる] /(v1) to fall in drops/to drip down/to trickle down/EntL1011970X/ まじまじと見る [まじまじとみる] /(v1) to take a long hard look at something/EntL1012140X/ やっちまう /(v5u) to do something the speaker regrets/EntL1012780X/ やって行く;遣って行く [やっていく] /(v5k-s) to live/to make a living/to get on with/EntL2082640X/ やり過ぎる;遣り過ぎる [やりすぎる] /(v1) to overdo/to go too far/to go to excess/EntL1846830X/ チクチク痛む [チクチクいたむ] /(v5m) to prickle/EntL1077700X/ ドタバタやる /(v5r) to be noisy/to make noise/EntL1088260X/ ピントが外れる [ピントがはずれる] /(v1,exp) (1) to be out of focus/(2) to be off the point/to not have got the point/EntL1107260X/ 悪く言う [わるくいう] /(v5u) to deprecate/to traduce/EntL1151270X/ 為てやる;して遣る;為て遣る [してやる] /(v5r,vt) (uk) to do for (someone)/EntL1157140X/ 為過ぎる [しすぎる] /(v1) to overdo/to do too much/EntL1157220X/ 育ち過ぎる [そだちすぎる] /(v1) to be overgrown/EntL1890010X/ 一気に飲む [いっきにのむ] /(v5m) to drink in one gulp/EntL1161740X/ 一山当てる [ひとやまあてる] /(v1) to be right on target/to strike it rich/EntL1847060X/ 一杯食わされる [いっぱいくわされる] /(v1) to be taken in/to be duped/to be deceived/EntL2068210X/ 飲み過ぎる [のみすぎる] /(v1) to drink too much/EntL1682800X/ 運転を見合わせる [うんてんをみあわせる] /(v1,exp) (See 見合わせる・2) to suspend operations (esp. of trains)/to stop driving/EntL2401390X/ 悦に入る [えつにいる] /(v5r) to be pleased/to gloat/to glow with self-satisfaction/EntL1175260X/ 遠過ぎる [とおすぎる] /(v1) to be too far/EntL1177910X/ 恩がある;恩が有る [おんがある] /(exp,v5r-i) to be in one's debt/EntL1183100X/ 音を立てる;音をたてる [おとをたてる] /(v1) to make a sound/EntL1183650X/ 下駄を預ける [げたをあずける] /(v1) to leave everything to (someone)/EntL1185790X/ 荷物を詰める [にもつをつめる] /(v1) to pack one's things/EntL1195440X/ 過ぎる [すぎる] /(v1,vi) (1) to pass through/to pass by/to go beyond/(2) to pass (i.e. of time)/to elapse/(3) to have expired/to have ended/to be over/(4) to exceed/to surpass/to be above/(5) (as 〜に過ぎない, etc.) to be no more than .../(v1,vi,suf) (6) (often used after adjective stems or the -masu stems of verbs) to be excessive/to be too much/to be too .../(P)/EntL1195970X/ 我を立てる [がをたてる] /(v1) to insist on one's own ideas/EntL1196780X/ 我意を得る [わがいをえる] /(v1) to approve of/EntL1196800X/ 冠を曲げる [かんむりをまげる] /(v1) to become displeased/to get stubborn/EntL1210240X/ 眼をたれる [がんをたれる] /(v1) to stare menacingly/EntL1217130X/ 顔をしかめる;顔を顰める [かおをしかめる] /(v1) to grimace/to frown/EntL1217760X/ 顔を合わせる [かおをあわせる] /(v1) to meet/to face someone/EntL1217780X/ 顔を立てる [かおをたてる] /(v1) to save face/EntL1217790X/ 気を取られる [きをとられる] /(v1) to have one's attention attracted (caught)/to be preoccupied with/EntL1633050X/ 胸を撫で下ろす;胸をなで下ろす;胸をなでおろす [むねをなでおろす] /(v5s) (See 撫で下ろす) to be relieved/to feel relieved/EntL2528130/ 禁ず [きんず] /(vz) (See 禁ずる) to forbid/to suppress/EntL2140110X/ 近過ぎる [ちかすぎる] /(v1) to be too close/EntL2165830X/ 肩をすくめる [かたをすくめる] /(v1) to shrug one's shoulders/EntL1258970X/ 肩を怒らせる [かたをいからせる] /(v1) to perk up (square) one's shoulders/EntL1633160X/ 元気過ぎる [げんきすぎる] /(v1) to be too energetic/EntL1260730X/ 言い過ぎる;言過ぎる [いいすぎる] /(v1,vt) to talk or say too much/to go too far/to overstate/to exaggerate/EntL1848440X/ 言える [いえる] /(v1) (often as ...と言える) (See 言う) to be possible to say/to be able to say/EntL1008860X/ 口を入れる [くちをいれる] /(v1) to throw in a suggestion/EntL1275770X/ 考え過ぎる [かんがえすぎる] /(v1) to think too much/to be over-concerned/EntL2039050X/ 行き過ぎる [いきすぎる(P);ゆきすぎる] /(v1,vi) to go too far/to go to extremes/(P)/EntL1609150X/ 骨を覚える [こつをおぼえる] /(v1) to learn the ropes/to get the knack/EntL1288560X/ 使い過ぎる [つかいすぎる] /(v1) to use excessively/to use too much/to spend too much/to overwork someone/EntL1305760X/ 朱筆を加える [しゅひつをくわえる] /(v1) to make corrections/EntL1328620X/ 首を縮める [くびをちぢめる] /(v1) to duck one's head/EntL1329230X/ 授業を受ける [じゅぎょうをうける] /(v1) to take a class/EntL1330300X/ 重過ぎる [おもすぎる] /(v1) to be too heavy/EntL1336040X/ 出し過ぎる [だしすぎる] /(v1) to overdo something (speed, exertion, etc.)/EntL2036700X/ 出過ぎる [ですぎる] /(v1,vi) to project or protrude too much/to be too forward/to obtrude/EntL1338360X/ 出来過ぎる [できすぎる] /(v1,vi) to be too much/to be too good to be true/EntL1849670X/ 召される [めされる] /(v1,vt) (1) (hon) to do/(2) to eat/to drink/(3) to put on/to wear/(4) to buy/(5) to ride/(6) to catch (a cold)/to take (a bath)/to tickle (one's fancy)/to put on (years)/to commit (seppuku)/(suf,v5s) (7) (arch) honorific suffix used after the -masu stem of a verb/EntL2525550/ 少なすぎる;少な過ぎる [すくなすぎる] /(v1) (See 多過ぎる) to be lacking in options/to be too few/EntL2533830/ 食い過ぎる [くいすぎる] /(v1,vi) to eat too much/to overeat/EntL2130560/ 食べ過ぎる [たべすぎる] /(v1,vt) to overeat/(P)/EntL1358300X/ 寝過ぎる [ねすぎる] /(v1,vi) to oversleep/EntL1360030X/ 心を捉える [こころをとらえる] /(v1) to impress/to charm/EntL1360550X/ 身をかがめる [みをかがめる] /(v1) to stoop/to bend over/EntL1365620X/ 身を寄せ合う [みをよせあう] /(v5u) to go into a huddle/EntL2033570X/ 身を投じる [みをとうじる] /(v1) to throw oneself (into an activity)/EntL1365630X/ 声を立てる [こえをたてる] /(v1) to let out a cry/to shout/EntL1380450X/ 昔を顧みる [むかしをかえりみる] /(v1) to look back upon the past/EntL1382390X/ 積み過ぎる [つみすぎる] /(v1) to overload/EntL1849620X/ 切り過ぎる [きりすぎる] /(v1) to overcut/EntL2029450X/ 息を弾ませる [いきをはずませる] /(v1) to pant/to gasp/to be short of breath/to be excited/EntL1404370X/ 多すぎる;多過ぎる [おおすぎる] /(v1) (See 少なすぎる) to be too numerous/to be too much/EntL1588910X/ 打ち過ぎる [うちすぎる] /(v1,vi) to pass by (time)/to hit too much/EntL1849530X/ 大きすぎる;大き過ぎる [おおきすぎる] /(v1) to be oversized (overloud, etc.)/EntL2083440/ 大詰を迎える [おおづめをむかえる] /(v1) to approach the finale/to come to a close/EntL1413400X/ 地団駄を踏む;地団駄踏む [じだんだをふむ(地団駄を踏む);じだんだふむ(地団駄踏む)] /(v5m) to stamp one's feet (in frustration, impatience, etc.)/EntL1848820X/ 恥ずかしがる [はずかしがる] /(v5r) to be shy of/to be bashful/to be abashed/to blush/EntL1421640X/ 遅過ぎる [あそすぎる] /(v1) to be too late/to be too slow/EntL2555410/ 跳び過ぎる [とびすぎる] /(v1) to overjump/to overleap/EntL1897790X/ 長過ぎる [ながすぎる] /(v1) to be too long/EntL1429810X/ 通り過ぎる [とおりすぎる] /(v1,vi) to pass/to pass through/(P)/EntL1432980X/ 締め括りをつける [しめくくりをつける] /(v1) to bring to a finish/to complete/EntL1436590X/ 電源を入れる [でんげんをいれる] /(v1) (ant: 電源を切る) to turn on power/EntL1443240X/ 度が過ぎる [どがすぎる] /(v1) to go too far/to go to excess/to carry too far/EntL1623950X/ 湯熨をかける [ゆのしをかける] /(v1) to iron with a wet cloth/to smooth by steaming and ironing/EntL1448690X/ 頭を使う [あたまをつかう] /(v5u,vt) to use one's head/EntL2151890/ 働き過ぎる [はたらきすぎる] /(v1) to overwork/EntL1451050X/ 被害を受ける [ひがいをうける] /(v1) to be damaged/to receive damage/EntL1484360X/ 鼻をつまむ [はなをつまむ] /(v5m) to hold one's nose/to pinch one's nose/EntL2522560/ 腹を壊す;腹をこわす [はらをこわす] /(exp,v5s) to have digestive problems/to have an upset stomach/EntL2534340/ 麻酔をかける [ますいをかける] /(v1) to anesthetize/to anesthetise/to anaesthetize/to anaesthetise/EntL1524340X/ 繭をかける;繭を掛ける [まゆをかける] /(v1) to spin a cocoon/EntL1525700X/ 名前を馳せる [なまえをはせる] /(v1) to win fame/to make a name for oneself/EntL1531720X/ 明かりを消す;灯りを消す [あかりをけす] /(v5s) to turn the lights off/EntL2267760/ 目を伏せる [めをふせる] /(v1) to cast down one's eyes/EntL1535260X/ 目を留める;目を止める [めをとめる] /(v1) to take notice (of)/to pay attention (to)/EntL1535230X/ 問題を取り上げる [もんだいをとりあげる] /(v1) to take up a problem/EntL1536020X/ 優し過ぎる;優しすぎる [やさしすぎる] /(v1) to be too nice/EntL2449510/ 誘いをかける [さそいをかける] /(v1) to invite/to call out/EntL1541850X/ 力瘤を入れる [ちからこぶをいれる] /(v1) to work earnestly/EntL1555290X/ 曰く [いわく] /(v5k) (1) to say/to reason/(n,n-adv) (2) pretext/history/past/story/EntL1567950X/ 鬱を散じる [うつをさんじる] /(v1) to chase one's gloom away/to free one's thoughts from melancholy/EntL1568420X/