Entries Under Development
This page is for general use to place words/phrases which are in the process of being turned into full dictionary entries. Other people can contribute to readings, meanings, etc., and eventually the material can be placed in JMdict/EDICT.
Possibly useful links:
- the New Entry page in JMdictDB. This can be used once the entry is complete enough to go in the dictionary.
- the New Words page prepared by Paul Blay, containing words phrases from the Tanaka Corpus that are not yet in Jmdict/EDICT.
The Work in Progress
遅ばせながら and 遅らばせながら (variants of 遅ればせながら)
The first variant showed up in an e-mail message, and this made me look for it via Google, since no dictionary carries it. It seems to be rather common (abt. 38,000 hits), and i even found a not uncommon second variant (abt. 19,000 hits). I don't know how to merge this information appropriately with the existing JEDIC entry for 遅ればせながら, since i actually don't know the sound (reading) of the first variant and (obviously) find the pronunciation of the second variant at odds with the dictionary entry. (^^)
- My guess is 遅ばせながら is simply a case of people thinking the れ could be absorbed into the kanji (遅). I'll add it to the 遅ればせながら entry as a variant. I suspect 遅らばせながら is a not-uncommon typo; I'll add it as a comment.
- BTW, when you put the 遅ればせながら entry in in 2008, you put おそればせながら as the reading. Are you sure of it? The ルミナス和英辞典 says it's おくればせながら, as does the プログレッシブ和英中辞典 at Yahoo. JimBreen 03:06, 19 March 2010 (UTC)
--Hendrik 05:20, 27 January 2009 (UTC)
A note: entering つかまる into "Word Search" brings up two entries that are identical except for a kanji being displayed as image in one of them
--Hendrik 12:30, 17 December 2008 (UTC)
- This is because entries with non-JIS208 kanji are quarantined in a separate file. When we get to the new system, they can be merged. JimBreen 02:03, 19 March 2010 (UTC)
- They have now been merged! JimBreen 01:33, 30 April 2010 (UTC)
Read, in an e-mail message, this sentence: わたくし自身デラシネ的です。
大辞泉 defines デラシネ as 根無し草。転じて、故郷や祖国から切り離された人
大辞林 defines it as 根なし草の意故郷を喪失した人
No problem with the meaning, but i dont' know the real-world connotations, in the (a) Japanese way of looking at this. Thus, i wonder which English expressions (i.e., any or all of the following) would fit? I can see a span from "rootless", "uprooted" , or "exiled" to "multicultural", "unfettered", or "free spirit".
- Or all of the above. Without knowing the context, I'd go for "rootless". JimBreen 02:52, 19 March 2010 (UTC)
--Hendrik 23:20, 8 October 2008 (UTC)
痛 and びびり
Here is a text: 抜歯、響きが痛そう。落ち着き大事ですね。整形に行ったときに医者が医学書を開いたときはマジビビりました。
Plugging this into "Translate Words" gets the following (excerpt only shown):
* 痛 【いた】 (int) ouch; ow; ED
* びびり (n) chatter mark (machine tools); ED
Now i have some questions that come out of the results shown above.
1) 痛そう contains the stem 痛, which means "painful", whereby 痛い is the adjectival form, 痛く the adverbial form, and 痛そう the, for lack of a better term, appearance form. why does the glossary give us only "痛 【いた】 (int) ouch; ow; ED"? I think it would be helpful if all all adjectives were recognized by their stem... how should one handle this interms of amending existing glosses or adding hlosses?
- 痛そう and the like should be handled. I have added そう to the possible inflections of い-adjectives, and now 痛そう gets:
- Possible inflected verb or adjective: (adj., -seems)
- 痛い 【いたい】 (adj-i) (1) painful; sore; (adj-i,suf) (2) exceeding; (P); EP
- Tell me about any more. JimBreen 02:16, 19 March 2010 (UTC)
2) The gloss for びびり is obviously off the mark here, and a reference to びびる would be most useful. I recall having mentioned some time ago that noun forms of verbs (and verb forms of nouns) :-) would benefit from being crosslinked. In that context, is it OK to add such crosslinks, whenever a situation arises where they don't exist, as amendmends?
- Yes, feel free to propose amendments like that. As for the gloss for びびり, リーダーズ+プラス has "《機械の》びびり, CHATTER MARK.", so I suspect it's not way off the mark. JimBreen 03:13, 19 March 2010 (UTC)
--Hendrik 14:12, 20 September 2008 (UTC)
結托 This might be a misprint for 結託. Putting it here for now. ---Scott 20:23, 8 August 2010 (UTC)
あえか あえか kojien to be added --Scott 20:55, 10 August 2010 (UTC)
はったい see=麦こがしsee=香煎 gg5 koj daij gg5 "has powdered roast grafin " as a gloss but grafin does not seem to be a valid English word. --Scott 18:48, 11 August 2010 (UTC)
有吻類 koj to be added--Scott 02:52, 16 August 2010 (UTC) (has been added to edict)
- リーダーズ+プラス has : snout beetle 【昆】 有吻[具吻]類甲虫の総称《ゾウムシ (weevil) など》. JimBreen 06:59, 16 August 2010 (UTC)
剰す あます not found in dictionary --Scott 03:04, 16 August 2010 (UTC)
串戯 not found in dictionary aozora: 御串戯 ごじょうだん one website has 串戯 かんぎ 1. 人を笑わせるために行う歌舞｡おどけ｡ 2. 俳優 but I can't figure out where it's from--Scott 07:23, 8 September 2010 (UTC)
岩面 is a word I came across. It plainly means "rock face" (many WWW images). What's the reading? がんめん? JimBreen 03:35, 14 October 2010 (UTC)
平ぺったい ひらぺったい can't find this one, probably means flat --Scott 20:03, 30 October 2010 (UTC)
On Thu Apr 29 18:56:40 2010 Hendrik submitted: 〜の背中は既に見えている 〜のせなかはすでにみえている exp catching up with ...
Sample (from a text about LED lighting and how it has been improving): ここにきて総合効率で80lm/W以上という製品も珍しくなくなってきた。総合効率が100lm/W弱とされる高効率の高周波点灯（HF）型の蛍光灯にはまだ及ばないものの，蛍光灯の背中は既に見えている。(My friend ここにきて is showing up yet again here, and in this case i have tentatively marked it as "since recently", but i will let that go for the moment...)
1) on the web (representing parts of the very text i am working on): http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/FEATURE/20100224/180569/ and two other Googits of sites quoting the above
Here is an example of an "uncertain" entry: it is not in the dictionaries i have access to, there is only limited evidence that it exists - but it "smells" like it should be in a comprehensive dictionary. ;-)
2) All the elements of this EXP are known separately, and some may perhaps argue that NES reading "being able to see the back of..." in certain contexts should know that it means "catching up with..." (or, perhaps even "set to overtake ... before long") - but methinks such an EXP as this is valuable at least for the non-NES using JEDIC, if not for _some_ NES... ;-) I also suspect that this EXP is far more typical for what NJS actually say than the 1 original Googit we have for it...
I (Jim) added it as an entry, but other editors are now suggesting deletion. I'm moving this here for discussion.JimBreen 23:29, 4 August 2010 (UTC)
- I agree that it's a catchy phrase, and the meaning might not be obvious to some, but I just don't think the usage is high enough to warrant keeping it. If kept, I don't think it should have the の in front. ReneMalenfant 06:25, 6 August 2010 (UTC)
Our existing entry, which needs work, I agree ReneMalenfant 06:19, 6 August 2010 (UTC):
[adv,prt] from; out of; since; at [adv,prt] than [adv,prt] other than; except; but [adv,prt] more
Expressions Possibly Needing Revised POSs
This is a list of entries identified by Ben Bullock as having suspect PoS tags. I (Jim Breen) think many need to be retagged as expressions.
- I've gone through all of them and modified the ones I think need to be changed, and recommended a handful for deletion. ReneMalenfant 03:35, 8 August 2010 (UTC)
- Thanks. I'll delete the list now. JimBreen 10:08, 13 September 2010 (UTC)
Verb POS being added the "exp" entries
We have a batch updater to add verb POS tags to "exp" entries. The list of additions has been prepared by Jean-Luc Léger. Paul Blay noticed that some on JL's list are also marked "id" (idiomatic) and really need checking before they go in. I have pulled them off the list for now, and placed them below. If anyone wants to indicate which ones are OK to have POS markers, i.e. can be seen occurring in inflected forms, please add an "OK" to them.JimBreen 11:01, 13 September 2010 (UTC)
The remaining entries I have put on another page in batches. Feel free to comment on which ones should NOT have POS tags as well.
2416850 管の穴から天を覗く v5k 2418930 断じて行えば鬼神も之を避く v5k 2418010 焼け棒杭に火が付く v5k 2451240 想像が付く v5k 2068870 閑古鳥が鳴く v5k 2418940 男鰥に蛆が湧く v5k 2417090 群羊を駆って猛虎を攻む v5m 2419790 無理が通れば道理が引っ込む v5m 2417000 金が子を生む v5m 2417970 小の虫を殺して大の虫を生かす v5s 1213500 甘言は偶人を喜ばす v5s 2141210 網呑舟の魚を漏らす v5s 2108430 入るを量りて出ずるを為す v5s 2417990 小人閑居して不善を為す v5s 1470130 能ある鷹は爪を隠す v5s 2397070 噂をすれば影が射す v5s 2419300 入るを計りて出ずるを制す v5s 2418670 先んずれば人を制す v5s 2419160 桃李物言わざれども下自ら蹊を成す v5s 2417910 女の一念岩をも通す v5s 2417640 思う念力岩をも徹す v5s 2095220 群盲象を評す v5s 2417080 君子豹変す v5s 2420120 歴史は繰り返す v5s 2417790 車軸を流す v5s 1433890 爪で拾って箕で零す v5s 2418180 親は無くても子は育つ v5t 2418090 寝る子は育つ v5t 2419890 目処が立つ v5t 2420060 竜虎相搏つ v5t 2419010 忠言耳に逆らう v5u 2417030 金を貸せば友を失う v5u 2417330 功罪相償う v5u 2420030 来年の事を言うと鬼が笑う v5u 2419840 明日の事を言えば鬼が笑う v5u 2417510 最後に笑う者が最もよく笑う v5u 2418460 粋が身を食う v5u 2418160 親の因果が子に報う v5u 2416830 我が身を抓って人の痛さを知る v5r 2127610 足るを知る v5r 2419520 病んで後初めて健康の価値を知る v5r 2525070 サクラ散る v5r 1970560 悪事千里を走る v5r 2418820 損して得取る v5r 2417160 健全なる精神は健全なる身体に宿る v5r 2418520 正直の頭に神宿る v5r 2417240 古い革袋に新しい酒を盛る v5r 2417890 所変われば品変わる v5r 2416640 為る様に為る v5r 2417310 御鉢が回る v5r 2418420 塵も積もれば山と成る v5r 2417850 習い性と成る v5r 2419760 万感胸に迫る v5r 2418770 憎まれっ子世に憚る v5r 2417920 女の髪の毛には大象も繋がる v5r 2417190 見る人は見ている v1 2419140 刀折れ矢尽きる v1 2417570 山が見える v1 2417660 死んだ子の年を数える v1 2419800 名の無い星は宵から出る v1 2419330 熱りが冷める v1 2419470 庇を貸して母屋を取られる v1 2417520 才子才に溺れる v1 2417550 策士策に溺れる v1 2418120 新しい酒は古い革袋に入れる v1 2417360 喉元過ぎれば熱さを忘れる v1 2418040 上手の手から水が漏れる v1 2416900 急いては事を仕損ずる vz