Re: [edict-jmdict] Non-ambiguous cross-references (xref/ant): ent_seq?

Thanks for raising this. There is discussion going on among the JMdict
editors about revisions to the structure, and I'll make sure this issue gets
fixed as part of it. I've known about for the problem for years but I admit
it's not been on my fix-it list. It is now.

At present the JMdict format handles cross-references in the following form
(quoting entry 1262990):
<xref>スライド・1</xref>

I envisage it moving to something like:
<xref type="see" seq="1073760" sno="1">スライド・1</xref>

That should enable apps using JMdict to do the linkage correctly and
allow derived formats such as EDICT to continue as before.

It may be quite a while before the new structure is available. I was planning
to make a call for suggestions via this list shortly. I also think we should
warn app developers well in advance. Something that could be explored is
parallel production of "old" and "new" JMdicts for a transition period.

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University