Re: [edict-jmdict] JMDict Common Gairaigo gai1/2 languages

Hi Theo,

See: http://www.edrdg.org/wiki/index.php/JMdict-EDICT_Dictionary_Project#Loanwords_and_Regional_Words

The lack of an "lsrc" means the word/term is from English.

Cheers

Jim

On Sun, 6 Jan. 2019, 3:10 pm Theo Hamish Johnson theohjohnson@********* [edict-jmdict] <edict-jmdict@*************** wrote:
Hi there,

I’m creating a web based kanji/word memorization tool called 日本GO! based off JMdict and Kanjidic2. First off - thanks so much for this data and the work you’ve put into compiling this! I’m hoping that my tool will be a valuable resource to the japanese language learning community.

One of the functionalities I would like to add is to automatically generate mnemonics for gairaigo words. I noticed that a lot of words with a re_pri/ ke_pri of 'gai1/2' often don’t have an lsource, let alone an xml:lang attribute. I’m wondering if I should assume that the default language in these cases is english, like it is if the xml:lang attribute is missing?

I suspect it is but I wanted to make sure.

I should be opening the tool for alpha in the coming weeks and will provide a link when I do.

All the best,
Hamish Johnson

Posted by: Theo Hamish Johnson <theohjohnson@*********>

<*> Your email settings: