geom & math (was: Re: [edict-jmdict] Email notifications / jmdict tags)

I've been trying to find time to chip away at Mislav's email and the issues
he's raised. I'll do it in several threads (Stuart started one on email, etc.
notifications.)

On 16 August 2016 at 00:20, Mislav Blažević mislav.blazevic5@gmail.com
[edict-jmdict] <edict-jmdict@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> Which reminds me... [geom] has about 20 words, is it really needed? Why is tayoutai a [geom] term while juunimentai a [math] term? Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

To be quite frank I don't recall why we have both "geom" and "math".
We have several overlapping tagsets, e.g. econ/bus/finc, but you can probably
think of examples that fit one of those but not the other two. Matters to
do with geometry are probably all validly classed as  mathematics.

I wouldn't mind dropping "geom", especially since we don't have
algebra, calculus, etc. as fields. I'd like to see what others think.

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University